Applications and Forms

Below are tabs for the various applications accepted by the Planning and Community Services Division. Click here for a fee schedule. These forms can be submitted to or at City Hall. If you have questions please feel free to call (319) 273-8600.

  1. New Construction / Additions
  2. Signage
  3. Rental Applications
  4. Grants / Tax Exemptions
  5. Development

Land Use Permit Application: Residential properties including new construction, additions, fences, driveways, garages, and the like will need this permit. In addition, a Building Permit and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (prior to new home construction) may be required. Information sheets are provided for common questions, illustrating what is permitted.

Site Plan ApplicationApplies to commercial, multi-family, or residential (in an overlay district) property, when new construction, additions or redevelopment are proposed. In addition, a Building Permit and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (prior to new home construction) are also required.

Central Business District Facade Review ApplicationSubmit this application for exterior renovations and sign improvements to all properties located in the Downtown Overlay District. Please contact the Community Planning and Development Department for any questions on this review.

Fill Permit Application: Properties located in the Special Flood Hazard Area or general floodplain district must submit a fill permit application for the placement of fill material on the property. Fill is allowed at a 3-foot depth from the natural grade that does not exceed 33.3% (1/3) of the lot area.

To find the zoning for your property or see roughly where your property lines are go to the Cedar Falls Web Mapping Site. 

Use the 'Search' box in the upper-right hand corner to enter and address, street name or subdivision name.  Expand the 'Planning' layers on the left and turn on 'Zoning'.  Please contact us with any questions at

For more information on getting a permit or scheduling an inspection please visit our Permits and Inspections page.